Tuesday 28 August 2007

Beetroot and bamboo

We have a very kind elderly neighbour with an allotment producing too much food for him and his wife to eat by themselves.

So we currently have this - a small bucketful of fresh raw beetroot, grown about 10 feet away from our garden boundary.

I'm thrilled to have such a kind and generous neighbour, and if ever we have a glut of anything edible we will return the favour.

I have to admit that I've never taken to pickled beetroot and have never bought it fresh to cook with. So having absolutely no idea what to do with this bucket full of goodness, I scoured the
Good Food website for ideas - and there were plenty.

I decided to try a couple out for a family BBQ last night to celebrate my in-laws buying their new house just a few minutes walk from ours.

This is one of the results - beetroot houmous - divine!

I would have shown you the
beetroot slaw too, but that's all gone already. :-)

The other project simmering away is this - the frilled cardigan in Sirdar Bamboo.

All the main pieces are now finished, so I can seam those shoulders and start on the beautiful edging..

3 comments:

Jules said...

Beetroot houmous sounds delicious! I'm printing that one out. :) Can't wait to see the bamboo sweater - I love that color!

blog-blethers said...

The houmous sounds droolworthy! I'm munching my way through some lemon and corinder at the moment - embarassingly, not homemade! Thank you for the recommendations re Bamboo yarn ... I've been so tempted and think you've now flipped me over into purchasing:) Look forward to seeing your FO pics!

Daisy said...

Have you tried chocolate beetroot cake? It's FANTASTIC!